Friday 6 March 2015

So Now What?

It's been way too long! I'd like to say that I was just too busy to write, but it was in fact just complete laziness and lack of enthusiam. I don't like writing in a bedroom or at a table. Although there are infinitely more distractions I find my creative juices flow better outside or in a public place. Case and point I'm currently sitting in the PAC Gym during the first game of the Canada West Men's Basketball Final 4. I haven't found my life has become any less interesting, in fact coming home has presented me with some interesting life decisions. Let me explain...

Something a lot of travellors deal with when returning home is the feeling that they have changed so much but everything at home has stayed exactly the same. This statement was almost the complete opposite for me, it seemed like everything was changing. Now I must stress none of these changes were in any way negative what-so-ever, I'm so happy for everyone, it was just a lot to take in all at once. While I was away I had numerous cousins and friends get engaged (6 weddings in 2015), both my parents decided they are going to retire (also in 2015), and a few friends have bought houses and are starting careers in different cities. If anything it felt like everyone had their life figured out and I was getting left behind.

That first little while I was home was rough. I had an interview with Shell but wasn't offered a position which was pretty devastating. Couple that with the slump in the oil and gas industry and full on panic mode ensued. What on Earth was I going to do? An already hard work force to get into just got exponentially more competetive. It really made me question coming home in the first place and I was almost considering leaving the country again.

Then I had some luck! I'd had enough of trying to browse for jobs on the internet that I found myself doing some online shopping at lululemon. On a bit of a whim I decided to apply for a position at the store here in Saskatoon and a couple weeks later I started working there full-time. It wasn't 'ideal' at the time, but bills needed to be paid, and it's turned into an opportunity I'm extremely grateful for. Say what you will about the company, I have felt nothing but genuine support from all the staff that work there, especially now that I've decided I'm going to pursue Graduate Studies and have a Master's Degree in a few years. In my ideal world I will balance both working and being a student but there are a lot of unknowns I still need to figure out. It terrifies me that I will be defending a thesis in 2 years time, but that's a good thing right?

I went snowboarding for a week and saw some of my favourite Canadian wildlife!

The most successful blogging session I've had in months.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment