Wednesday 27 August 2014

2100kms for Rocks

Almost on a whim I decided to head to the Red Center to check out the Outback. I'm so glad I did! Although some of the people on tour were less than awesome, their lack of personality and awareness of others did not ruin my trip and I had a fantastic time. 1500kms in 3 days and go!

Uluru itself was quite amazing. One giant monolith, practically in the middle of nowhere, is quite cool to see. Stand next to it and you really appreciate how this is a natural wonder as it is massive! It is a sacred site for the Anangu people and you can still see the cave paintings they drew to help teach their children. The sunset and sunrise where so neat to watch as you could see every shadow and feature that the rock has. Such a unique place.

Kata-Tjuta was just a short drive down the road from Uluru but couldn't have looked more different. Instead of one big giant rock, there were numerous dome formations scattered around the area. During our 10km hike, it so neat to see where the earth moved thousands of years ago. The rock nerd in me was only getting started!

King's Canyon was by far the best spot on that trip. The first 300m or so was a doozy, they don't call it Heart Attack Hill for nothing, but what followed was definitely worth the effort. Around every corner there was something new and interesting to see. It was like walking around a geology textbook except on a much grander scale and way more interesting. I actually caught myself thinking that our Geo Eng field school should be there instead of Pincher Creek and Revelstoke. On a side note, since doing this trip I've gotten multiple messages from friends back home on field school. September creeped up on me real fast! Not to be forgotten is the absolutely stunning Garden of Eden, a refreshing change of scenery after seeing only red soil for 3 days. Barely a ripple crossed the water and it made for some absolutely stunning photographs.

The last 600kms consisted of a day trip from Melbourne out the Great Ocean Road to the 12 Apostles. After seeing my friend Karen's video of a helicopter ride over them, I decided to follow suit, and what a view! As the limestone cliffs are getting eaten away by the waves it is impossible to see all 9 formations from the ground. From the air you could see everything! Not only was it my first helicopter ride but it had a pretty spectacular view!

Sunrise at Uluru

Kata-Tjuta

The Garden of Eden

The 12 Apostles

 

No comments:

Post a Comment