Sunday 7 September 2014

Wandering Feet

'The afternoon has surprises the morning never expected.'

I've alluded to this before with my city/ town walks but I never really explained why I like doing them so much. For one thing it's half decent exercise but the best part about my wanderings are all the awesome things I find. The quote above I got on one such wanderings while I was eating lunch at the Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens. It came from an elderly gentleman who I chatted with and it seemed perfectly fitting for my entire time in Australia. I never knew where my feet were going to take me!

There always is a destination in mind, I get a general idea of where I'm going and then just walk. I get asked if I want a map, and I always say no. I did get lost a few times, but the ocean can make a great landmark. I knew if I ever got really good and lost I could always just go back to the water and find my way from there. It's amazing what you can find if you have the time to duck into any interesting looking shops, markets, and buildings. My favourite places were the stumble upon events and places I didn't know existed. The most notable things I've stumbled across are the Ukulele Festival, numerous street artists, farmers markets, and countless amounts of beautiful scenery. My spontaneous hang gliding with Tori was a result of one of these wanderings. A case of being in the right place at the right time. Going on tours is awesome, you get to see so many things and places that would have been difficult by yourself. That being said the free days I've had have been some of my best days in Australia.

Walks also served as a great energy release and time to think. After sitting on buses and planes for hours on end, a walk would do wonders for my mood and attention span. There's something infinitely calming about going for a walk by yourself. It's amazing how many topics can filter in and out of your head while doing this. You have time to think about things you should have done, should do, could do, and will do. I won't share most of these thoughts because then my wanderings will become a burden. These are my purest, uninfluenced thoughts and ideas, any form of criticism would ruin any form of epiphany I had. I also don't write most of them down so I forget about half of them anyways :P.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment